Sunday, February 10, 2013

Therapists are not magicians

One thing I learn when I am out on the road, is that none of us have all of the answers. I love learning from the people with whom I work and meet. For example, at seminars, I get ideas and strategies from the attendees. Everyone has their own background and imagination which results in the sharing of ideas.
The same ideas apply to my work with people as a therapist and life coach. I am not an expert on the person with whom I am sitting - they are. We have to work together. I have tools and ideas that I can share and teach to that individual but this is based upon what they teach me about themself. That is why we have to work as a team.

This is probably why I do not get all high and mighty. I am human, you are human and together we can be a force for change but only if we work together. I had a client text me yesterday with some issues he is struggling with. It was important to remind him that change and improvement takes time. IF you do your part and I do mine, things will get better but it takes hard WORK and TIME.

I firmly belief that with all of this in mind and a commitment, everyone can change the course of their life. Everyone can make things better for themself. This is an amazing process that I am honored to watch and be a part of. Counseling and coaching work though because two people work together as a team towards agreed upon goals.

It is amazing. I am blessed to serve people as I do.

Dr. Christine Frydenborg Dargon
www.christinefrydenborgdargon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment